Increasing daily food intake and decrease in physical activity are major creators of increasing obesity rates in women.
Health effects of obesity in women
- Heart disease
- Gall bladder disease
- Mental health problems
- Birth defects in babies
- Post-menopausal breast cancer
- Respiratory Diseases
- Other diseases
Overweight and obese women can face societal discrimination and difficulties to find suitable employment.
The medical cost of obesity in pregnant women is twice of women at normal weight.
What are the basic reasons of obesity in women?
- Physical inactivity
- Seedentary time at home
- Watching television
- Playing video games
- Food preparation at kitchen
- High apartments
- Easy access to the food
- Food diversity
- Cultural changes due to urbanization and living conditions
- Soft drinks
- Harmful use of alcohol
- Tobacco use
- High salt use
- High fat foods
- Foods with saturated fats
- Family lifestyle
- Inadequate sports facilities
- Culture in the society
- Personal qualifications
Obesity prevention plan for women
- Aplly low calorie diet.
- Decrease daily calorie consumption to 1,000-1,200 kcal/day. It can’t be lower than 800 kcal/day. It is not healthy.
- Make reductions of 500 to 1,000 kcal/day (caloric deficit) will give you to lose 0,5 to 1,0 kg weight loss per week.
- Aim to lose 10% of body weight in 6 months. This ideal.
- Increase daily physical activity from 10 minutes to 1 hour per day in 6 months. Make physical activity moderate intensive as 300 minutes per week. Make it as a lifestyle.
- Increase fruit and vegetable consumption. Eat 5 or more times per day.
- Decrease soft drinks, sweets, sugary foods and energy dense foods.
- Consume more wholegrain cereals and legumes.
- Limit screen time. Maximum 2 hours per day is good.
- Make breastfeeding until 24 months. If this is not possible give mother’s milk at least 9 months.
- Practical action plan to prevent obesity in women includes;
- Make daily physical activity in moderate intensive rate at least 60 minutes for 5 days per week.
- Prefer low caloric diets. Take 1,000 to 1,200 kcal/day.
- Change your family habits and make new plan as lifestyle.
- Aim to give 10% of body weight in 6 months