- I know that business as usual doesn't stand a chance today! The future of business is about great people, purpose, innovation, experience and speed. Therefore, I have to say that leadership quality is one of the crucial factors to achieve a competitive success in business.
- Great leaders excite people to highest performance. This signs sustainable competitive growth, profitability, transient competitive advantages and highest customer value in today's complex and highly competitive business world.
- Peter Drucker described leadership as “Effective Leadership is not about making speeches or being liked; leadership is defined by results not attributes”
- Bill Gates described leaders as “As we look ahead into the next century, leaders will be those who empower others”.
- UCLA research showed that only 7% of leadership success is related with intellect, while 93% of success is related with trust, integrity, authenticity, honesty, creativity, presence and resilience (Cooper and Sawaf, 1996).
- I see that leadership has changed significantly over the last few years. This is related to my personal experiences and from working with many truly effective individuals and competent organizations in the pharmaceutical and agri-food manufacturing industries, our artisan chocolate business and business innovation consulting services.
- I have to say that we are living in a revolutionary time. The competition to find top leaders and managers is being a crucial issue for the companies.
- Mc Kinsey found that leadership quality is critical to growth and most companies don’t have enough high-quality executives. I know that only 10 percent of the leaders are great in the business world. This shows the great shortage of the right skills in the top executives.
- Clearly, I have to say that companies have to improve their capabilities to hire right skilled executives for their short and long-term strategic business goals.
- Steve Jobs described leaders as “My job is not easy on people. My job is to take these great people and push them and make them even better”.
- I know that Germany’s win of the 2014 World Cup in Brazil wasn’t an accident. Joachim Löw, Germany’s football team manager, explained that the team applied a strategic development and implementation plan during the last 10 years to win the World Cup. In business terms, they applied long-termism for growth, profitability, transient competitive advantages and highest customer value. Germany’s football team created organizational alignment. In other words, they created operational excellence and organizational agility through working with a truly effective leadership and strong skilled people.
- When we look at the leadership at the food industry operations; the leader has to lead different operations at the same time. These are supply chain, production, quality, R&D, regulatory affairs, shipment, inventory, facilities, safety, people training and development, effectiveness, productivity, customer loyalty, people management and others.
- I mean that a great leader can work on several operations at the same time, according to the company’s strategic goal in a competitive manner. On the other words, the success of the leader is related to her/his intensive experience, knowledge, EQ level and skills.
- For example, Mozart worked on several compositions at the same time and all of them are masterpieces. He is the only known exception. The other great composers such as Handel, Bach, Verdi and Haydn preferred to compose one work at a time.
- I was in a food company, the productivity was poor and turnover was high. After inspecting and analysing all of the roles, procedures, processes, facilities, equipment, people skills, culture and problems in the suppliers, factory and the customers, we decreased turnover 50% and increased productivity 80 percent. In another company, we established a competent organization and we never had a quality failure in the market and operations. Why?
- I know that aligning roles and responsibilities and work with the best performers, decision makers and problem solvers is a crucial parameter to contribute organizational agility and operational excellence to create competitive productivity and innovation. Therefore, the leadership quality plays a crucial role in the competitive and innovative leadership.
- President Barack Obama mentioned “innovation” and “innovative” 11 times in his speech in 2010. This shows the strategic importance of the innovation management and innovative leadership in today’s hyper-competitive world.
- Organizations need great leaders. This is the only survival strategy of our time and future. They have to apply a truly effective innovation management, according to Paul Trott.
- According to my experience and knowledge in the multi-industry; innovation is the crucial ingredient in all economic success, providing competitive growth for nations, creating more transient competitive advantages through more products and services for companies and more great careers for people. Therefore, I help the companies to train and develop their people to contribute better productivity and customer loyalty. Why and how?
- According to the researches, highly innovative companies achieved better sales (48 percent) and profits (49 percent) from new products while their less innovative peers had 21 percent in sales and 21 percent in profits. Look at the difference! Why and how?
- Great leaders create trust. I know that 50% of time wasted in business is due to the lack of trust. Why and how?
- Right talent management, training and development programs will enhance growth positively. For example effective EQ training will provide 10-20% increase in business growth. This is a great value!
- Today’s global competition and turbulence severely impact companies. Achieving organizational success will take planning, hard work and commitment through developing and implementing a long-term continual systematic and competitive marketing and innovation strategy.
- Innovation and entrepreneurship should be a culture of today’s leadership to obtain excellent productivity, growth and profitability.
- Great leaders provide effective and competitive growth through new technology, services, products, internalization, mergers and acquisitions and networking. They have strong R&D skills, apply innovation and establish customer immersion lab.
- They are sincere and genuine about their people and they create loyalty and engagement more than anything else.
- We had a factory project. We completed the project and started the manufacturing operations 6 months early. Why and how?
- I like this Chinese proverb; "The people follow the example of those above them".
- In Turkey we have a well-known proverb. “Balik baştan kokar”, in English “Fish smells from head”. It says that if your leaders are great, excellent and productive; then your people will be greater, excellent ,innovative, and productive, and so that they will show exceptional performance by creating competitive excellence.
- Technology has been building and building like a giant wave. Huge breakthrough technologies are all bumping into each other. In other words, we are witnessing the rise of hyper-competition and the competitive wave. There are increasing number of waves of creative destruction in the business. Great leaders make regular sector analysis. Why?
- The lifespan of the companies is shortening. Look at Fortune 500 or S&P lists. According to Foster’s research, a new company is added and an existing one removed approximately every two weeks.
- Today advantages are characterized as temporary or transient, and innovation drives performance outcomes. These performance outcomes are created by some tremendously innovative, fast-growing and game-changing companies and their entrepreneurial minded leaders.
- Tomorrow’s leaders will work in a highly competitive, complex, uncertain and disruptive business world. Business leaders of the future will handle complex, conflicting, volatile, ambiguous and uncertain agendas. They should have the ability to think strategically and bring the customer into the boardroom.
- The rising of thinking machines and robot revolution can exacerbate inequality in the next years. Some nations and companies will benefit from this disruptive technological innovation. I believe that this can hit every industry sector and will become an integral part of our daily lives. Oxford University research cited that this revolution could leave up to 35% of all UK workers in the United Kingdom and 47% of those in the USA, at risk of being displaced by penetration of robots and artificial intelligence over the next 20 years. It is estimated that the productivity could be improved by 30% in some industries. All of these show the crucial importance of the people capabilities and innovative leadership for today and future.
- I believe that credibility is a reflection of a leader’s integrity. It is one of the vital factors in the success or failure of management
Quality 1 – Inspiring and Trusted!
Tomorrow’s top leaders enable and empower other people to develop and implement the strategy and success. This can occur only if trust exists. Trust is essential to a leader’s credibility. People look for attributes such as fairness, dependability, respect, courage, supportiveness, compassion, empathy, competence, generosity and courage in leaders. Future’s top leaders build and inspires the confidence of employees, colleagues, customers and other stakeholders. They resolve issues positively and with integrity. They always display the highest standards of behaviour and act as a role model for creativity, improvement, innovation and company values. They earn their reward through empowering and building trust in the company through organizational alignment, operational excellence and organizational agility.
Quality 2 – Lead and Execute!
Tomorrow’s top leaders ensure that their organizations develop and implement long-term competitive marketing and innovation strategies. They lead and execute their short and long-term organizational and operational dimensions into superiority to create competitive advantage before than competitors. Success in the future’s market is a function of speed, quality and cost. Future’s top leaders have the ability to influence and persuade the organisation, customers, suppliers, investors, strategic partners and external constituents.
Quality 3 – Customer Focus!
The future’s top leaders found their strategies on a deep understanding of how to satisfy the needs of target customers and collaborators.
They stay on top of competitive intelligence and examine the present and future. They have the capability that captures and analyses consumer, market, sector, developments in technology and services, and competitive information in a continuous process for developing and implementing competitive insights and strategies to deliver a competitive advantage to the company.
Quality 4 – Explore and Global!
Tomorrow’s top leaders have strong passions, dynamic people skills, multidisciplinary perspectives, transformational and competent leadership skills. They are proficient in languages. They focus on local and global customer needs, networking and competitor activities. They seek out information about developments in new technologies and services in different parts of the world to create competitive advantage before than others. They make regular competitive intelligence. They apply business metrics. Why?
Quality 5 – Bold and Authentic!
Tomorrows top leaders have the vision, confidence and courage to take calculated risks, develop and implement alternative strategies and make the necessary moves to create growth, profitability, competitive advantage and customer value before than competitors through applying sustainability in the environment, social and regulatory needs. They are truly effective in decision-making and problem solving.
They are authentic and have strong emotional intelligence. They create candor effect within the organization. They motivate, inspire and create proper discipline. They are trustworthy and establish trust with candor, transparency and credit.
They take responsibility and show greater accountability. They delegate effectively.
They work with the best performers and remove bad performers. They have well-qualified workforce. They see opportunity in uncertainty, instability and crisis. They take real risks, not fake risks.
Quality 6 – Developing and Coaching!
Tomorrow’s top leaders coach people and help them develop their skills to create a competitive and high performance organisation. They care about the well-being of their employees.
Quality 7 – Entrepreneur and Innovator!
Tomorrow’s top leaders are self-disruptors and challenge short and long-term strategic innovation perspectives, create freedom through empowering experimentation, risk taking, learning from mistakes and valuing effort over perfection and drive discipline to create and launch excellence in business. They always look forward and identify new opportunities. So that they lead and execute innovative solutions for new and existing market needs resulting in a commercial, environmental and/or social benefit in a systematic and competitive manner.
Great leaders are hard to find but vitally important to the companies to achieve their short and long-term strategic goals.
What are the best qualities in tomorrow's top leaders? How is your experience? Thank you for your insights!
Please share this article in Linkedin, Twitter, Google+ and Facebook!
Please write your comments!
Thank you very much!
Yusuf Tokdemir is a business advisor, entrepreneur, innovation and project consultant, growth strategist, keynote speaker, founder of Chocolat Garden and Innovation Turkey. He has a proven track record of success in multi-industry.
He is open to opportunities in agri-food industrial operations.
Innovation Turkey is an Innovation Management Consulting and People Development Company. It collaborates with the companies for people and leadership development, new product design, new service design, new business design and organizes seminars and workshops on innovation management and productivity to achieve competitive commercial outcomes. Contact Yusuf Tokdemir through Linkedin or email him directly at email@example.com
Chocolat Garden is an artisan chocolatier that produces highest quality handcrafted fresh chocolates for fine chocolate lovers. Now Chocolat Garden Turkey is looking for cooperation, investment and partnership opportunities and will give franchise.