I see that there are a lot of complaints for new hired people in the organizations. The complaints are about poor productivity and outcomes. They have the necessary skills, but their contributions are weak. Why?
I have to say that people within the organizations are not robots. After starting to the new job, if they have poor engagement and productivity, there should be something that affects them negatively. You have to analyse this!
For example, do you say 'We truly celebrate for having you in our team! We believe in your skills, talents and knowledge that you can use for our company’s improvement. We welcome you' on the first day? You have to say!
I know that when we hire someone, this person will be in contact with her team at first. If they don’t want to cooperate with her, they will infect a negative culture, push to the other side and watch her falling into the trap or not and look at the developments. If this person does not have a bright, positive and naturally talented personality, she will be easily affected by the toxic and negative culture. I have to say that you have to train such people at first, if there is no improvement, remove those people from the organization to keep the business in success! Your success is in your hands!
Clearly, these situations and poor emotional capacity will create discomfort, fear, hurt, anger, frustration, disappointment, guilt, inadequacy, overload and loneliness in such persons. Their skills will be invaluable due to the poor productivity and weak engagement. You hired, and now, you have issues! How can you solve?
According to my experience in the multi-industry, when you hire people, you have to check their natural talents and emotions of power:
- Confidence to lead the success of her tasks.
- Contributing to achieve the objectives on time.
- Patience to really listen to people and ask 'questions' until she really understand.
- Creativity to look for alternative ways to solve problems within highly dynamic environments and complex situations.
- Curiosity to learn fast, to try new things and step up as the pathfinder to help others find the way forward to achieve the goals.
- Resilience to enjoy learning from failures, and to see the wins that may be hiding in plain sight and turning the invisible into the visible.
- Ability to communicate and cooperate effectively, passionately and warmly with others.
Please note that hiring is not a simple process. When you hire someone, you have to detect emotional intelligence capability at first, and then evaluate skills. You can train and develop skills. This is the best way. Otherwise, you can damage your organizational alignment, productivity, customer loyalty and finally business!
How do you measure emotional intelligence capability of candidates?
Thank you for comments and shares my articles!
Yusuf Tokdemir is a manufacturing operations excellence, innovation, productivity and performance expert and keynote speaker who helps leaders and teams improve output, execute faster, and increase profitability in the food industry (infant foods, chcolates, bottled water and agro-foods).
You can directly contact me by telephone.
T +90 533 3938268
Yusuf's Keynotes and Workshops Will:
- Accelerate Your Team’s Productivity.
- Deliver Bottom-Line Results.
- Drive High-Performance Cultures.
- Leadership Productivity
- Sales Productivity
- Team and Personal Productivity
10 Things That Motivate Employees More Than Money
KPIs and Lean Transformation as a Strategic Change in the Food Industry